Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Stay Safe and Warm this Winter

Jan 4, 2019



Holy Cross Hospital ER doctor offers tips to avoid risks from improper heating.

Did you know that in the United States as many as 20,000 people a year are taken to the emergency room for carbon monoxide poisoning, often from improper home heating?

Carbon monoxide can be fatal without prompt treatment. If you suspect someone has carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1. You also should open the doors and windows to provide fresh air to the area. Turn off any heaters, gas ranges or other combustion appliances and leave the home.

Dr. J.R. Reid, an emergency medicine physician on staff at Carondelet Holy Cross Hospital in Nogales, recently published a newspaper article with tips on how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

While everyone can be at risk, some are more sensitive than others, such as infants and the elderly, says Dr. Reid. People with heart disease, breathing problems or anemia are also more susceptible to carbon monoxide sickness.

To learn more about ways you can stay safe and warm this winter, click here to see the full article.

Sign Up for Health Tips

Get our advice and upcoming events about weight, pain, heart and more.

Find a Doctor

Need a doctor for your care?